ARC Review: Frannie and Tru by Karen Hattrup






Frannie and Tru
Author: Karen Hattrup
Release Date:  31st May 2016
Publisher: HarperTeen
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary
Source: ARC from publisher and Author for review purposes.
When Frannie Little eavesdrops on her parents fighting she discovers that her cousin Truman is gay, and his parents are so upset they are sending him to live with her family for the summer. At least, that’s what she thinks the story is. . . When he arrives, shy Frannie befriends this older boy, who is everything that she’s not–rich, confident, cynical, sophisticated. Together, they embark on a magical summer marked by slowly unraveling secrets.

Buy the Book: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | TBD


Karen Hattrup

Karen Hattrup grew up in the suburbs of Washington, D.C. with her parents and brother, devouring books from an early age. At Loyola University Maryland, she studied journalism and spent a semester abroad in Thailand. She went on to become a newspaper reporter, first in Maryland and then in Indiana, writing features and serving as an award-winning arts critic. Karen later studied nonfiction writing at the Johns Hopkins University. She lives in Baltimore City with her husband, daughter, and son.



Note: ARC provided by the publisher with the help of the author for blog tour purposes. 

When I first heard about Frannie and Tru, I immediately wanted to read it so talk about opportunities, I immediately grabbed it when Yani of Paper Boulevard, was looking for bloggers to join the blog tour in promoting the book. Frannie and Tru is something really I wasn't expecting, though, the life-changing moment was there. Having an open mind about everything else was another. I was immediately sold to the blurb but there are just some parts that are quite meh for me. 

Frannie is a silent girl from Baltimore and her imperfect life just got a lot worst when his dad was cut off from work. She's forced to leave her Catholic School and needed to transfer to public school since her parents can't afford to pay for her fees. Then, came Truman to spend the summer with their family. Tru is gay and there's something going on in his life that Frannie wanted to know so much. Apart from being his cousin, Frannie wants to be his friend, too. Soon she meets new friends, discovers what Tru has been going through, and experience what more life could offer. 

I grew up with my cousins being my friends, well, most of the time they're my best friends and I actually felt what Frannie wanted to happen. Frannie craves connections. I think her life is so dull that she wanted to come out and discover more of her personality. I personally think this is a racially diverse book. I truly wasn't expecting it but you know how it feels when you aren't expecting things. 

I was having issues with the title, though. When I felt that most of the time, things are more about Tru not Frannie, I always thought that the title should be Tru and Frannie because let's admit it, he was looming over Frannie. It was always about Tru. It was him who was overcoming something. Little of it was about Frannie. And I found Frannie hungry for attention. She was always dogging around Tru. It was frustrating. Also, it would've been better if there are two POV's in the book. That would be very exciting since we get to know things and ideas that are inside the character's mind. I would love to know what runs inside Tru's head. 

What made me like this book is that Tru is gay and how independent and bold he could get. He's the ideal "life of the party" friend we all have, and you'll personally want to be his friend. I personally wanted to have a Tru friend (see what I did there?) I can already imagine what my life would be if Tru is real. 


Labels: , , ,