{Review} A Safe Space by E.M. Tippets


A Safe Space
by E.M. Tippets

Genre: New Adult Contemporary Romance
Source: ARC from Author. (Thank you!)



Everyone needs a safe space.

For Lizzie Warner, that space has always been in front of the camera on her hit show, or on stage to a sold out concert arena. Since before she can remember, she’s been a star, but that may be about to change.

She’s nineteen. Her show has been cancelled and now she’s going to play the lead in a new prime time drama series, but is the world ready to take her seriously, or will she be typecast as the cute tween queen forever?

Her network has decided to be aggressive and has invested millions of dollars in an ad campaign for her show, money she’s not sure she can earn back. Her co-star can’t stand her, and the writing for the show turns out to be poor at best. The only reason Lizzie didn’t walk away from the job offer to begin with is because she’s broke, the victim of a decade of bad money management.

Then there’s Devon, the personal trainer at her gym. Arrogant and abrasive, he’s the last guy she should ever find attractive, but she has a hopeless crush on him anyway, and he doesn’t seem entirely disinterested either. In fact, sometimes he’s downright sweet to her. If only he weren’t an untamable bad boy who uses and dumps women like they’re nothing. Though Lizzie’s friends warn her to stay away, he’s the only person who can create what she needs: a safe space. But is there any way she can break him of his years' long habit of being a user?
Buy Links: Amazon US | Amazon UK | B&N Nook 
Emily Mah Tippetts writes romance under the name E.M. Tippetts and science fiction and fantasy under the name Emily Mah. Before she was a published author, she was an attorney who specialized in real estate, contracts, and estate planning, especially literary estate planning.

Her most recent pro publications have been her science fiction and fantasy short stories in magazines like Black Gate, Analog Science Fiction and Fact, and the anthology, Shanghai Steam.
It's very uncommon that I treat a book with so much gratitude and respect. I mean big big respect. I do respect books written by various authors, it's their sweat and blood. They've put so much of themselves in it. But this one's got a special piece of my heart. It's very empowering and just really really emotional that the pain was just too much to handle. And let's add up that it was a very clean New Adult book. 

Though the story, the plot, of how the guy meets the girl, is now a very common scenario in the history of all the stories, I am still very proud that I got to read it. It was such an amazing ride of a roller coaster. I, myself, didn't know what to feel while reading the book. I love the development and maturity of the characters (I'd get on this one later), most especially, I loved how involved these children with diseases are. Without them, I am very sure, this story would be stale and not be this kind of amazing story. It softens the heart whenever I read about these special people. 

Jumping to the characters. 
Say, first off, our star, Lizzie. She was an epitome of pure strength and hope. I would see so much potential in her, if she'd be a real human being. You will love her strength, her independence. Although, sometimes, I'd get this massive headaches for her actions that doesn't seem appropriate for a girl like her. She's not very much acquainted with her mom and she doesn't know her dad—which puts her to a massive breakdown that I myself, declared was too much to even handle. I must admit, I was crying. If I were in her shoes, I would not know what to do. But I admire her so much. I wish I could have her strength, her willingness to save those sick children. She might be full of flaws, but she has good intentions. God bless her heart.

And Devon. Devon, Devon. Devon the main reason for everything. The solution to the long hunting question in Lizzie's head. It wasn't a surprise to me, though, that we was the answer. I'd already thought about that, trust me. I was even imagining Kit Harrington playing this part (I'm sorry, I was so invested at this photo of Kit that he just snapped in my line of imagination. My definition of Devon doesn't even match the very description in this book. I will enlighten you with the image below.)

Who will resist a person this beautiful? O_O
I liked how his character improved and matured, although it's a bit over the top improvement. He began being so so attached, that at first his reasons were a low blow until he really began explaining himself to Lizzie. 

PS. This part contains spoilers so if you have not read the book yet, better skip this part. PLEASE DON'T READ IT. JUST READ THE BOOK IT IS UH-MAY-ZING.

When I begin talking about those two, chemistry always enters and centers my attention. At first, they were all cute and ‘lets-be-friends’ kind of relationship. I like how it was so real, how sweet it was during the first parts. I kept on saying “Devon, don't even ruin this crap you two have, please. Just please.” And then they kiss and those kisses just melted my heart and knees. I knew the heartbreak was coming. It was overwhelming really. Devon leaving for Montana totally ruined everything. When he left, amazing things happened to Lizzie's career. She lands a contract with recording, voicing as one of the characters for a video game, lands lead role in a movie and every little things. Then he comes back, ‘knock, knock’ on her door with a rose in hand. I mean, come on. This part ruined it for me. It's a shame though. I really liked the book and the pink sweater and glittery pens. And Mackenzie—although, bits of her were shown. Then he gets so overly attached. Whyyy? He's like stalker-ish or something. I know parts of it was because he loved her but I know the author can do more than this. It was a bit awkward and a little bit forced and it was just not working for me. But you know what? I still imagine him being portrayed by Kit Harrington so I never stopped reading. At the end of the rain, there's always a silver lining. So they got together again. Voila. I still love the story, though. It's so hard to explain.

PPS. Devon's mother really creeped me out. Good part there.

PPPS. Safe to read the following now...

Overall, A Safe Space was a venture to the world of celebrities, and enjoying ride of a roller coaster romance. This is the first book I have read in the series and that kind of bothers me. I would love to read the other three books as much as possible. Anyway, I love the book, despite its flaws. I sobbed. It was beautiful and just really really amazing, especially those beautiful children. I recommend this one especially to those people who are in the midst of problems. It is never too late to hope and expect for a better outcome. Emily wrote a very touching, heart-warming story of a famous girl who can have every physical thing she wants but not the very physical thing she wants the most. To give love and be loved in return.
Even though its a four-star review, this goes to my favorites shelf!

Q:
As I read the book, I have encountered involvements of sick children and I find them really really special and meaningful. Why did you involve children with diseases in the story? Is there any particular person/s behind these children while you wrote the story?
Here's the afterword, which should go some way to answering your question:

Thanks so much for reading my book. Hope you enjoyed it.

The bone marrow registry that Lizzie used to try to save Mackenzie’s life is real. There are actually a few of them. I’m a member of:

Be the Match
www.bethematch.org

If you are between the ages of 18 and 44 and aren’t already a member, you may be able to save a life. There could be someone waiting for a donation who is a match. People are quite a bit more likely to find a match from someone else of the same race, and the registry is always looking for minorities, especially Asians and part-Asians (like me.) When I started writing this book, I got an email from Be The Match to tell me that I was a match for a four-year-old girl. That was a good day.

Then I got a follow up email a few weeks later to tell me she wasn’t eligible for a transplant, but that I should be ready at short notice in case the situation changed. While it’s possible that she didn’t need one, I’ll always wonder, and a part of me will always wait for that phone call.
___

I didn't inherit any diseases, but I was in a very serious car accident when I was 11. It was a head on collision on the highway, so I spent a lot of time in the hospital and met kids who practically lived there because of their conditions.

Thanks so much for reading my book! I really appreciate it.

All best,
Emily

Labels: ,