{Review} The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan






The Lost Hero
Author: Rick Riordan
Publisher: Disney-Hyperion
Edition: Hardcover
Pages: 557
Date of Publication: 12th October 2010
Source: Bought/Own Copy
Jason has a problem. He doesn’t remember anything before waking up in a bus full of kids on a field trip. Apparently he has a girlfriend named Piper and a best friend named Leo. They’re all students at a boarding school for “bad kids.” What did Jason do to end up here? And where is here, exactly?

Piper has a secret. Her father has been missing for three days, ever since she had that terrifying nightmare. Piper doesn’t understand her dream, or why her boyfriend suddenly doesn’t recognize her. When a freak storm hits, unleashing strange creatures and whisking her, Jason, and Leo away to someplace called Camp Half-Blood, she has a feeling she’s going to find out.

Leo has a way with tools. When he sees his cabin at Camp Half-Blood, filled with power tools and machine parts, he feels right at home. But there’s weird stuff, too—like the curse everyone keeps talking about. Weirdest of all, his bunkmates insist that each of them—including Leo—is related to a god.

So, how do I actually start this. Uh, demigods are awesome and adventurous and uh, yeah, their swoon-worthy and...more awesome. Though, as what they say, having one of your parents as a God or Goddess, is not awesome, I really find it awesome since you know, uh, mortal here! I never thought I'd be this hooked with a book. It's like high school all over again, with all the Greek and Roman names and stories. Wow. I mean, Dude! How can a twisted story like this can be more than awesome? I mean, the magic and stories of the Greek empire and the Gods and Goddesses, they already amaze me. They tell the story and twist it with another story. A story within a story. How freaking cool is that? But if you've included their sons and daughters, the mortals, the demigods, well that's a different kind of amazing! I'd pay to see this as a movie. It's going to be worth it. 

It started when Jason woke up at Wilderness School, without a memory of what's happened to him, who he really is, no nothing. He just woke up in a bus, with a girl holding his hand who is her girlfriend, a crazy dude as his best friend and they're on their trip to the Grand Canyons. Little did Jason know what he really is, and soon the puzzle that he is, falls into place. Piper McLean might be the typical girl you can imagine but if you knew her her well and her story, well, that just changes her to the not-so-typical-girl we all know. She thought Jason has come to his senses but one day when he woke up, he never knew she's his girlfriend. Leo Valdez stirs the class into a ramble of mac and cheese but behind every joke and laughter he broke is a memory that broke his heart to million shattered pieces. Little did he know what comes his way and who he meets. Or met. Tell you what, I've never read the Percy Jackson Series but I know Percy and Annabeth and Grover and Luke from the movie. The book intercepted with the series after the Titan War. I didn't know what book that is or if it did happen in the Percy Jackson series (sorry, I am yet to read it!). 

I actually found the book really interesting, you know. The book was actually gifted to me last year during my birthday and it's been quite some time that it seated on my shelf. At first, I didn't know it would be that kind of fun and exciting reading it. I've been sort of building this guesses in my head who's behind all the shenanigans happening there. And it was unexpected. None of my guesses made it to the end. But, whatever, at least I get to enjoy the leisure of reading the story. I've been squeezing and asking my sisters who's been this guy who Helen of Troy married that caused the Trojan war and blah, blah, blah, and our story shifts out of topic. The whole concept may not be new but the twist and turns, well, wow. That just caught me because I love the Greek myths. 

As much as it love liking Jason, I pretty much sure loved Leo, too. I mean, come on! The guy's a perfect dude and he seems adorable with those magic hands of his! He's my favorite character in the story because he's quirky and clever and fun and he seems to bring up some joke out of a bad case and he makes the quest really alive. Even though he found himself as the distraction, the lost duck, the "other" guy, the quest wouldn't be done without him. What catches me the most about him is his strength and his talents with the tools. He's build himself enough courage to still go even though he's been alone for quite a time. I now feel the hurt every demigods had shared. The feeling of being ignored. Like when you were just being born and you didn't even know if your Dad/Mom (the God/Goddess) even held you or even stared at you while you sleep. That just twists my heart. And Leo, he didn't get to know his father. Not until he was claimed when they reached Camp Half-Blood. But his skills! I'd kill for that skill. Fixing things? Making paper planes that could really fly? Now were talking! 

Then, there's Piper. At first, one might see her as the weakest link. And she's a girl. But little did we know about first glances. I almost believed that she was a kleptomaniac. Living with her father, who is an actor, Piper didn't get the attention she wanted. They rarely hang out which brings her to doing things, this and that, that causes her trouble. And that's how she ended up at Wilderness School where she met Jason and Leo, and immediately, they became best friends. Little did I know about this girl. In the beginning I thought she was trouble but as you go deeper and deeper into the story, that whole lot of thinking? Well, they vanish to thin air. You better not think and just keep on reading. It's very...disturbing. You know, when you just said "Well, he/she is definitely blah, blah, blah, and everything," and suddenly the course changes. You have to know what the story is about to know what will happen or who is it they've met. And in Piper's case, I have to meet her first before I go berserk and judge her as the flirty-kind-of-chic (no, really, at first I thought she was!). 

And let's not forget about Jason. Jason Grace. Sounds familiar? The Champ. Maybe you know him. Jason is the guy that knows nothing. Not his name. Not his parents. No nothing. But as soon as the travels begin, pieces of his memory fall into places.  He begins saying things, facts, from experiences he doesn't even know he'd been and existed. I like Jason. Not because he's dreamy or anything like that but because he worries. He doesn't want his friends left. He's very welcoming and he's a true leader. Very courageous, I say. 

I thought it was a lot to take in but since I studied some Greek legends and stories, and people, it has been easy to take in. The mere fact that the Greeks has been very justified in this story truly amazes me. And the twists and turns of the story, the places they've been, the uncovering and the end? WOW. After reading, now it feels like a lot to take in! There are differences while and after reading. Rick Riordan catches his readers with his unbelievable twisted stories, flowery words and a world that you don't want to leave behind. And well, I don't get to leave 'em behind, I'd say "I shall return!", carpe diem and all those things.






Labels: , , , , , ,