{Review} Tangled by Emma Chase


Title: Tangled
Series: Standalone
Author: Emma Chase
Date of Publication: 20th of May 2013
Publisher: Omnific Publishing
Genre: New Adult Contemporary
Pages: 254 pages
Source: Purchased from Amazon Kindle Store
AmazonAmazon Kindle | Barnes & Noble
NOOK | Books A Million | The Book Depository


(From Goodreads)
Drew Evans is a winner. Handsome and arrogant, he makes multimillion dollar business deals and seduces New York’s most beautiful women with just a smile. He has loyal friends and an indulgent family. So why has he been shuttered in his apartment for seven days, miserable and depressed? 

He’ll tell you he has the flu.

But we all know that’s not really true.

Katherine Brooks is brilliant, beautiful and ambitious. She refuses to let anything - or anyone - derail her path to success. When Kate is hired as the new associate at Drew’s father’s investment banking firm, every aspect of the dashing playboy’s life is thrown into a tailspin. The professional competition she brings is unnerving, his attraction to her is distracting, his failure to entice her into his bed is exasperating. 

Then, just when Drew is on the cusp of having everything he wants, his overblown confidence threatens to ruin it all. Will he be able untangle his feelings of lust and tenderness, frustration and fulfillment? Will he rise to the most important challenge of his life? 

Can Drew Evans win at love? 

Tangled is not your mother’s romance novel. It is an outrageous, passionate, witty narrative about a man who knows a lot about women…just not as much as he thinks he knows. As he tells his story, Drew learns the one thing he never wanted in life, is the only thing he can’t live without.

"Women fall in love quicker than men. Easier and more often. But when guys fall? We go harder. And when things go bad? When it's not us who ends it? We don't get to walk away.
We crawl."
As a woman, this was supposed to hurt me, knowing manly insights differ from that of women. Unfortunately, I acted different. I was so much not sure of this book when I started reading this. This was actually recommended to me by a friend and through her reactions and simplified phrases (yes, including those spoilers), and the talk in the blogosphere and other media, I decided to read it.

It actually opened me up, as a woman. I realized most of the phrases stated (aka break-up lines) were in fact true, I think (I haven't had one, so, I have no idea about how a relationship works). I read a lot of contemporaries, watch too much chick flicks a lot, fall in love a lot (can we consider fictional characters here, because that's all I got closest to falling in?), so I can conclude, pun intended, true. One hit me [well, duhh], the I'm fine phrase. I always hear this whenever a break-up is approaching, or when the heroine is physically  or emotionally hurt. I said this too, most of the time. But it doesn't always mean the opposite. Sometimes, we really have to use it because we mean it. So, not always. But partly (with the emotional part, this is considered as always). 

Another one is the one where we blame ourselves after we have done something wrong. The I should've phrases. Well, it's mostly the guilt we feel. I can't explain more of these. Hahaha. Well, it's like this:
It's my last big breath, what do you want me to do?
right? Well...
"Sometimes boys are stupid. And a lot of times they do stupid things."
Let's end this on equal terms. :D
So much for that.

Okay, I've never enjoyed a book much as this one. It's like heaven opened up and God sprinkled me with books but this specific one caught my attention because of the sexy hot bod on the cover (yes, I know. Can we continue and not drool over the cover? We'll talk about that later), and captured my heart and soul. A really great read that not only makes you laugh and giggle all you want but will surely give you insights on what is in a man's head (the upper head).

Whilst in the middle when, you know, after the hook up, I was already gripping my pillow because I can almost feel what will happen next. Yeah, he screwed up the whole thing. But you know what I liked? What made me take back all that I told my friend while I was in the im-so-not-swooning-over-this-kind-of-guy mood? His eagerness. Drew never gave up. He kept his ground for Kate. And that was just the sweetest thing. He swept her off her feet, annoyed her to bits, but beneath those actions were a more deeper meaning to what has been done. Every inch of me [after me taking back my oh-so-cruel words] wished Drew was real.
"Sometimes a guy doesn't become a man until he's met the right woman."
and we can reciprocate.
"Sometimes a girl doesn't become a woman until she's met the right man."
On the contrary [me swooning, drooling...], I never laughed so hard that I almost fell from my bed while reading. Omygosh! I was freaking laughing when all else were sleeping. Yes, like 3 am or 4, I think. I was really alive, wide awake. I was never that much of a reader but this really got me. And the NILF? HAHAHAHA. That was where I expressed my loudest silent laugh (loudest silent laugh-the no sound laugh because everyone is asleep and I'm awake as hell!).

And guess what. There's so many lessons you can learn here besides fucking hard. Like this one:
"It doesn't much matter what you say when you're screwing anyway. Or how you do it. Slow and gentle or fast and violent—it's the feelings behind it that makes it mean something. That make it mean everything."
For real? I didn't expect Drew to babble any words of wisdom because, hey, I never thought he'd be the romantic type. On the very first, I even compared him to Barney Stinson. I never even thought that he'd say things like:
"Assume nothing. Even if you think you know everything. Even if you're sure that you're right. Get confirmation. That whole "ass" cliche about assuming? It's right on the money. And if you're not careful, it could end up costing you the best thing that's ever going to happen to you."
See? It's so not like him.
I should end this. Its getting me nowhere.

Emma Chase created a whole lot of hilarious yet romantic read that will surely sweep you away and swoon and drool over things you never intended to happen, feel the emotions you never expected to have an effect in you and will make you relieve each moment through time. I will never forget Drew Evans. He's freakingly tattooed on my heart.

 I am sooo so sorry if the review is so much filled with quotations from the book.
"Don't get too comfortable. Take chances. Don't be afraid to lay it on the line. Even if you're happy. Even if you think life is freaking perfect."
the judgmental stars: 5 Friggin Stars!

Yours,

Labels: , , , , , ,